Carrick Hints at Late Manchester United Transfer Move

Manchester United interim boss Michael Carrick has not ruled out late transfer business as injuries, squad depth, and key futures dominate

Manchester United interim boss Michael Carrick has not ruled out late transfer business as injuries, squad depth, and key futures dominate deadline-day talks.


Carrick Hints at Late Manchester United Transfer Move

With the January transfer window rapidly closing, Manchester United remain surrounded by uncertainty and speculation, and interim head coach Michael Carrick has done little to quiet the noise. Speaking ahead of Sunday’s Premier League clash with Fulham, Carrick refused to rule out late transfer activity, leaving the door ajar for potential deadline-day movement at Old Trafford.

While there has been no concrete confirmation of incoming deals, Carrick’s carefully chosen words suggest that United’s plans remain flexible, particularly as injuries and unresolved squad issues continue to shape the club’s short-term outlook.

Transfer Window Still Open—for Now

When asked directly whether United’s squad could change before Monday’s deadline, Carrick offered a measured but telling response.

“Never say never,” he said, acknowledging that circumstances can change quickly in the final days of the window. His comments underline the unpredictable nature of deadline-day football, where unexpected injuries, departures, or opportunities can force swift decisions.

Last month, former United head coach Ruben Amorim had publicly indicated that he expected at least one addition during the transfer window. However, the club’s reluctance to reinvest £65 million earmarked for long-term target Antoine Semenyo—who instead joined Manchester City from Bournemouth—reportedly caused frustration within the coaching setup.

That hesitation has fueled debate among supporters, many of whom believe United remain short in key areas despite recent on-field success.

Midfield Links and Injury Concerns

United have been linked with several midfielders in recent weeks, most notably former Wolves captain Ruben Neves, now playing for Saudi Pro League side Al-Hilal. While no formal approach has been confirmed, the speculation reflects a wider concern about depth and control in midfield, particularly as the season enters a demanding phase.

Those concerns have been heightened by the injury to Patrick Dorgu. Carrick confirmed that the Danish international, valued for his versatility on the left side, will be sidelined for “a number of weeks.” His absence has prompted suggestions that United may seek short-term cover, especially with fixtures piling up across competitions.

Carrick, however, was unwilling to provide specifics, maintaining a calm and composed stance.

“Sometimes it is in our control, sometimes not,” he said. “I am pretty calm. We have shown what we are capable of as a team.”

Zirkzee’s Future Still Unclear

One of the most closely watched situations involves Joshua Zirkzee. The former Bologna striker, who joined United for £36.5 million 18 months ago, has been linked with a possible return to Italy. Juventus are reportedly monitoring the situation, weighing up whether to make a move before the window shuts.

Zirkzee recently recovered from a minor injury and is available for the Fulham match, which could play a role in determining his immediate future.

“Josh has just been trying to work to get fit,” Carrick said. “It was great to have him training with the group. I’m just looking forward to working with him.”

Whether that collaboration extends beyond the deadline remains to be seen.

Bruno Fernandes Question Lingers

Beyond immediate transfer business, Carrick acknowledged that discussions around Bruno Fernandes’ long-term future are quietly ongoing. The United captain is expected to review his plans at the end of the season, and while Carrick downplayed the urgency, he admitted the topic is “on the agenda a little bit.”

For now, the focus remains firmly on results rather than long-term negotiations.

United’s Resurgence Under Carrick

Carrick’s interim spell has begun in impressive fashion. Victories over Arsenal and Manchester City—currently the Premier League’s top two—have propelled United into the top four for the first time this season, reigniting belief among fans and pundits alike.

However, scepticism remains. Critics point to United’s inconsistency against lower-ranked teams, particularly at Old Trafford. Since late November, United have failed to beat Everton, West Ham, Bournemouth, and Wolves in league matches at home—three of whom sit in the bottom eight. Even Everton, reduced to 10 men early on, managed to avoid defeat.

These dropped points have fueled concerns that United still struggle to assert dominance against disciplined, organised sides.

Fulham Test Looms Large

Sunday’s opponents, Fulham, represent exactly that kind of challenge. Marco Silva’s side earned a credible 1-1 draw against United earlier this season at Craven Cottage and arrive at Old Trafford in strong form.

Fulham have taken 17 points from their last eight matches, losing just once in that run. A victory this weekend would move them within a single point of United, further underlining the importance of the fixture.

Carrick made it clear he is under no illusions.

“Marco has made Fulham into a really good team,” he said. “Just because we are at home, taking anything for granted is bang out of order.”

Deadline Day and Beyond

As the transfer deadline approaches, Manchester United find themselves balancing momentum on the pitch with unanswered questions off it. Carrick’s message is one of caution rather than complacency, both in the market and on matchday.

Whether United make a late move or stick with the current squad, the coming days could shape not only their season but Carrick’s interim legacy as well.

Join African360 WhatsApp Channel for more News update:  https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vb7Oc6nGk1FpdCN0xn44

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *